A Little Bit Salty, A Little Bit Sweet

I always get asked the same question over and over again – “what do you with all your baking?”  Well, I usually bake on Saturdays so my husband and I have something for dessert that night.  Anything we don’t eat either goes to friends on Sundays, or my co-workers on Mondays. But not this week.  Not with these Salted Caramel Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars!
Why?  Because my husband wouldn’t let me give them away that’s why!  They were THAT good! Seriously.
There’s nothing better than the sweet and slightly salty taste of these delicious little bars.  With a graham cracker base, dulce de leche cheesecake middle and a gooey caramel glaze with a light sprinkling of fleur de sel, these bars will satisfy any craving you throw at it.  Even the kind where you want to eat everything in sight because you’ve had a really crap day and nothing you do seems to make it any better. These will!  Ok – I can’t make any guarantees, but if you have enough will power not to eat the whole pan and decide to share them instead, you can definitely make some new friends that will help cheer you up!
These cheesecake bars couldn’t be easier to make. And as they say here in the UK “they’re a doddle.” (I had to hear that a few times before I understood what the heck people were talking about. I didn’t know if it was good thing or a bad thing!)
Salted Caramel Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars

Adapted from Bon Appetit
2 1/4 cups graham cracker or digestive biscuit crumbs (from about 17 whole graham crackers)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
10 tablespoons (142g) butter, melted

3 8-ounce packages Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup (225g) sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup dulce de leche
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2/3 cup dulce de leche
2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
10 caramel chews
Fleur de sel*

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan coated with nonstick spray. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Add melted butter; stir until coated. Transfer crumb mixture to pan. Press evenly onto bottom of pan. Bake until crust is light golden, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on rack.

2. Blend the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.  Add the eggs 1 at a time, blending for 3 to 5 seconds each time until incorporated.  Add in the dulce de leche and vanilla and blend until just mixed – about 10 seconds. Spread the batter evenly over the cooled crust and bake until the cheesecake mixture is just set in center and the edges are puffed and slightly cracked, about 38 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.

3.  Once the cheesecake bar is cooled, pour 2/3 cup dulce de leche sauce and a the 3 tablespoons of whipping cream in a glass measuring cup.  Microwave at 10 second intervals stirring between each interval.  Do this until the mixture is smooth and combined.  Next, take about 10 caramel chews and heat them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds until just melted.  Quickly dump the melted caramel chews into the dulce de leche mixture and stir continuously until combined. The consistency should be pourable, but not too liquid.  You want the caramel topping to be soft and gooey, but not too runny that is pours down the side of your bar once you cut it.  Cover and chill until ready to serve.

4. Lastly – (and this is the best part!) when you’re ready to serve the bars sprinkle the caramel glaze lightly with some fleur de sel.
*Fleur de sel is a light and flaky sea salt, with a less salty and bitter taste than regular table or sea salt.
The sweetness of the caramel along with the tang from the cream cheese and the saltiness from the fleur de sel make this bar a little slice of heaven. But don’t take my word for it.  Go make your own!
Share on Facebook22Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest516

1. says

Yeah Hershey’s is not tasty at all! although I wish it was because they always come up with such fun flavour ideas..I saw some candy cane kisses advertised the other day that I would love to try if it was surrounded by a different kind of chocolate! lol…that caramel layer in your bars looks amazing! love the photos too – your pics always look so prof!

2. says

Gald you all like them. These bars are probably one of favourite things I’ve made and they’re so easy to make. Great if you’ve got to bring a little snack or dessert to a friend’s place.

Tracy: Perhaps I should think about adding in some T&C’s saying I cannot be held responsible!

3. says

Sometimes I wonder that about myself! What do I do with all of the goodies I make?!! These look so good. I am sure you guys enjoyed each one. That is exactly what I did with my post today. It is dangerous.

I printed this recipe off. I am having company Sunday and this looks like the perfect dessert.

4. says

so funny to read that anything you and your husband don’t eat is given to your friends on sunday or co-workers on monday. I do the same thing, but my co-workers are more than happy to help!

this looks so good. I need to figure out if I can buy dulce de leche here in the netherlands…

5. says

cakeje van eigen deeg: Do you have cans of sweetened condensed milk there? You can make your own dulce de leche by taking a can of sweetened condensed milk and putting it in a crock pot or slow cooker. Completely cover the can with water (make sure there’s about 2 inches of water over the can), turn the crock pot on low and leave it for 8 hours. Then turn the crock pot off and let it cool before taking the can out of the water. When it’s done you should end up with a can of nice thick dark dulce de leche! Oh, and just so you know the can will leave a rust stain in your crock pot, so if you don’t want that, place a small plate underneath the can when it’s in the crock pot. Hope that helps!

6. says

I’ve got a question about Philadelphia cream : 3 8ounce : does that mean we need 3*225 grams of philadelphia ?

Could you finally tell me how much it makes in grams please ?

7. says

Eeek! Sorry Nyny – I forgot to post the ounces to grams conversion on this! Thanks for pointing it out! 8 ounces is 228 grams. I have a large container of UK Philly in my fridge & it weighs 300 grams, so one of those will be more than enough. Not sure how much the small one weighs though… Good Luck!

8. Hayley says

Oh my goodness these look delicious! my favorite thing in the winter is a salted caramel macchiato from starbucks—this looks way better–and in food form 😀

9. says

I just found your blog on Pinterest:-) I finally made cheesecake for the first time, I am a baker, yet was nervous to make a cheesecake, LOL! Now I am addicted! This recipe looks fantastic:-) Take care, Terra

10. says

Dear blogger whose name I have no idea, but i love, I found this recipe on pinterest and out of all the food pins, this is the only one i have made. I made these here in Dallas Texas and although this is not the first cheesecake I have made, it is the most delicious. I LOVE this recipe. In fact I love it so much I will use the cheesecake recipe as a base for other cheesecakes I make. I can’t wait to try other recipe recipes on your blog!!! xo Zehra

11. Anonymous says

I have a question: Do I boil the can of milk prior to making the recipe or do I just use the milk directly out of the can?

12. Anonymous says

Comme cela a l’air appétissant ! …mais comment trouver les ingrédients équivalents en France ?! (à part la fleur de sel… 😉 )… Snif. On rêve en photos. 😉

13. Anonymous says

Would love to make this for our cookie exchange….how many does it make and how long do you think they would stay fresh or store for?

14. says

Hi Everyone!

Really sorry for the late reply to your questions as I’ve just seen most of them now – I don’t seem to be getting an email notification of your comments anymore. Strange!

Anyways, if your making the dulce de leche from a can of condensed milk you need to make it BEFORE you make the rest if the bars. Do NOT pour a regular can of condensed milk onto these bars because they will be ruined.

You should be able to buy Dulce de Leche in most European supermarkets. It is sold under the name if Carnation Caramel Treat in South Africa. In the US it may be found in cans or jars in specialty stores selling Latin American groceries. Dulce de leche seems to be getting more popular, so not sure if it has become more mainstream and readily available in the US (the way Biscoff (Speculoos) spread has in
    recent years).

As for Fleur de Sel, it is a French Sea Salt that should be available in most specialty grocery stores.

Hope that helps